Documents for MVV

The application for the mvv and residence permit (TEV-procedure) will only be granted if the application meets certain criteria. The application will be assessed on the basis of these criteria using the documents provided.

Criteria for assessment
You will be granted a provisional residence permit only if:

  • You have a valid passport
  • You have sufficient financial means
  • You are not a danger to public order or national security in the Netherlands
  • The required fees are paid
  • A document has been supplied confirming that you will be working or performing research in the Netherlands
  • Your employer has a work permit for you (if required in your situation)

Documents provided by Dutch employer or host institution
In the TEV-procedure, your employer or host institution will send all the paperwork to IND. It is up to the employer or host to complete an application form and assemble all the required documents. These may include:

  • Documents to confirm that you will be working or performing research in the Netherlands:  Depending on your terms of employment, this might be an employment contract or letter of invitation.
  • Proof of financial means: 
    If you have a formal employment contract, this will mention your salary. If not, you may need to provide other proof of that you have sufficient means of support.
  • Work permit:
    If a work permit is required (most likely not), your employer or host is responsible for applying.

Documents provided by yourself
Your employer or host institution will tell you what documents you will need to provide. These may include:

  • Copy of passport: 
    Your employer or host institution will definitely need a copy of your passport. This must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of issue of the provisional residence permit. Sometimes a copy of all pages (including blank pages) is required. In other cases, copies of the ID page, signature and visa pages may suffice. Your employer or host will tell you what is required.
  • Proof of financial means:
    If you do not receive a salary or fellowship from your Dutch host, you might need to provide a proof that you have sufficient means of support. This could be a copy of the scholarship or fellowship certificate issued by the provider, or a statement issued by your bank confirming the balance of your account.
    Your funding must at least equal the minimum monthly amounts set by IND. These minimum monthly amounts are not necessarily the same for each purpose of stay and are subject to change.

If you are asked to provide documents, please bear in mind that IND only accept documents written in Dutch, English, German or French. Documents in other languages must be accompanied by an official translation.

Also interesting for you: travelling with a visa, embassies.


Add this FactCard to your website

Is the information on this FactCard relevant to your audience?

Feel free to share this FactCard on your website. This is very easy and will enhance the service level to your visitors.

Simply check the preview, copy the embed code, paste it in your website and you are done!

Preview and embed this FactCard

Related Decks

Favorites Close

Share your favorite factcards via email


Embed Close

Add it to your site

                  <iframe id="370d9448-5ce0-11eb-a7e5-005056ba7acb" onload="var a=this.src.split('/');this.contentWindow.postMessage('init,' +,a[0] + '//' +a[2]);window.addEventListener('message', function(e){var',');if(b[0]{this.height=b[1];}}.bind(this), false);" src="" width="100%" style="border:none;"></iframe>